Dr Chatterjee talks to Professor John Cryan, world-leading researcher on the gut-brain axis and Professor of Anatomy & Neuroscience about how the connection between our gut and our brains affects all aspects of our health, including stress, depression, anxiety and IBS.
- As a neuroscientist, how did John become to research stress, which led to its link to the gut microbiome?
- Hear about the progress John and his team have made so far with their research.
- What chronic illnesses to John & Rangan now know can affect and be affected by stress?
- John & Rangan talk about stress and why our body reacts in this way and the follow-on effects of chronic stress.
- Listen to the research John has done recently on how specific bacterium in the gut, can be more resistant to stress. Link to the study.
- Link to John’s book The Psychobiotic Revolution: Mood, Food and the New Science of the Gut-Brain Connection
- John talks about how our microbiome is different throughout our lives from first born to old age, from person to person and compared to our ancestors.
- Rangan refers to Martin Blazes book – Missing Microbes
- John describes the Gut-brain Axis and how we have recently been able to see how the gut can directly influence activities in the brain.
- Link to the Smiles Trial.
- How has John’s research shown how the state of the microbiome can cause specific stress responses such as depression & anxiety?
- Hear John’s tips to improving gut health include: a Mediterranean diet, fermented foods, pre-biotics in the diet, avoiding processed food and anti-biotics, how Caesarean sections and having pets can have an effect and why good sleep practises and exercise are important.
- John talks about research into processed foods, sugar and artificial sweeteners.
- John reveals how certain medications, prescribed by doctors, can be more or less effective depending on the individual’s microbiome.
More Info on John
Related articles from Dr Chatterjee’s blog:
You are what you eat: how diet can improve symptoms of depression
IBS and Gut Health with Dr Megan Rossi
Dr Chatterjee’s book The 4 Pillar Plan
Also available in the US & Canada with the title How to Make Disease Disappear